When selling your home, making any of these five mistakes in the process will prove costly.
It’s no secret that preparing your home for the market is stressful, but you can minimize your stress and pave the way for a smooth selling process by avoiding these five common mistakes:
1. Overpricing your home. I can’t stress enough how important it is to price your home correctly from the start. Even a poorly marketed home that’s priced right will sell—it just might take a little time.
2. Failing to make simple repairs. You know what I’m referring to—a spot that your pet chewed on or that minor repair project you have yet to get around to. You can be sure that buyers will notice the little things immediately, so now’s the time to get them taken care of.
3. Neglecting to declutter your home. Most buyers start their home search online, and if your pictures show off your stuff rather than your space, chances are buyers won’t give your home a second glance. Round up your belongings, pack them into boxes, and place it all in storage before you start welcoming buyers into your home.
4. Not allowing adequate access to your home. I’ve found that for every 10 times a seller turns away a showing, eight of those buyers either won’t come back or their agent won’t call to reschedule. The success of your sale depends on your willingness to be flexible with showings. Your home needs to be show-ready when a buyer wants to see it—not when it’s convenient for you.
5. Getting super emotional about your home. Understandably, you’ve probably formed an attachment to your home. Now that it’s on the market, though, you need to think of it as a product you’re selling. If you get a lowball offer or the buyer wants to do some remodeling, don’t take it personally. The only thing that matters is that you’re able to sell the home for the price you’re aiming for.
If you have any questions about selling your home or there’s a topic you’d like to hear us cover in a future video, give us a call or drop us an email. The Dailey Group is here to help you and those you care about move with confidence!